Welcome to the Academy of the Annunciation (AoA)
at the Bournemouth Oratory
The Academy of the Annunciation (AoA) is a direct result of the prayers of St John Henry Newman (cannonised in October 2019 by Pope Francis). Launched at the start of “The God Who Speaks: Year of the Word”, and in response to Bishop Egan’s vision in inviting The Oratory to the Diocese of Portsmouth to be “a focus for formation in the Catholic Faith for the New Evangelisation, a powerhouse of prayer, and a hub for the community”.
The Bishops of England & Wales call us all to “Listen afresh to the Word of God, as did Our Blessed Lady at the Annunciation”, and St John Henry Newman (Founder of the English Oratories) called for “…a Laity … who know their Religion, who enter into it … who know their Creed so well that they can give an account of it … (who) understand how Faith and Reason stand to each other”.
The Fathers and Brother of the Bournemouth Oratory in Formation welcome Dr Christina Pal and Dr Denise Oliver to work with us in responding to these calls, and welcome students to engage with the Faith, live it, and proclaim it, in a waiting world.
“Be transformed by the renewal of your mind” (Rom. 12:2)
AoA’s courses, whether delivered by way of live video conferencing, onsite conference, or blended / distance learning, are designed to form and educate students to be truly mission-ready – for the parish, the diocese, and the world. Focused courses are offered at various levels on the Sacraments of Initiation, Catechesis & Evangelisation, Discipleship & Prayer, Apologetics & Reasons for Faith, Spiritual Theology, and various Scripture Studies.
Forming Evangelists, Catechists, and Formators “to put people not only in touch but in communion, in intimacy, with Jesus Christ: only He can lead us to the love of the Father in the Spirit and make us share in the life of the Holy Trinity.” (St John Paul II – Catechesi Tradendae #5)
- Flexible delivery of tuition in a way that suits you best – interactive online video conferencing and/or (when permitted) on-site tuition and study at the Oratory in beautiful Bournemouth
- Short Conferences by way of Study Days and evening courses delivered via online interactive video conferencing
- One year Certificate course and two year Diploma course, with tuitition delivered via online interative video conferencing
- Equipping students to work effectively in the Lord’s vineyard
- Conferences for priests, religious, and seminarians
- study online with the help of your personal academic tutor
One year Certificate Course, two year Diploma Course, June and July Study Days and 90 minute “Tasters”
via video conference
The Academy of the Annunciation offers live lectures with inter-active discussion and real-time participation, all from the comfort of your home!
Registration is open for our one year Certificate course – Newman Catechetical Certificate : Reasons for Faith and for our two year Diploma programme – St John Diploma in Spirtual Formation, both starting at the end of September / beginning of October.
For information about the one year Newman Catechetical Certificate : Reasons for Faith CLICK HERE
For information about the two year St John Diploma in Spirtual Formation CLICK HERE
In addition, registration is open for the following June and July Study Days and 90 minute “Tasters”:
June Study Days:
- “Grace and truth have come through Jesus Christ” (Jn 1:17) – Why Catholic Prayers are always “through Christ our Lord” when the Bible invites us to pray “in Jesus’ name”
Wednesday 17th June
- Passion and Emotion – The Catholic Perspective
Saturday 20th June
- Adam & Eve in the Garden – Why the First Sin was so Catastrophic
Wednesday 24th June
- Why we call the Priest “Father” and Other Questions about the Priesthood
Saturday 27th June
July Study Days
- Angels and Demons
Wednesday 8th July
- Understanding the Catechism of the Catholic Church
Saturday 11th July
- Introduction to St Thomas Aquinas, Doctor of Doctors
Wednesday 15th July
- How Does Christ’s Death on the Cross Save Us?
Saturday 18th July
- Heresies of the Early Church
Wednesday 22nd July
- The Unique Meditation of Christ
Saturday 25th July
Tasters for a Tenner
- “Who do you say that I AM?” – An Introduction to the Person of Jesus Christ
Tuesday 16th June
- Why bother with the Church?
Thursday 18th June
- Do good morals really lead to happiness?
Tuesday 23rd June
- Getting to know our English Martyrs
Thursday 25th June
- How to get more from the Sunday Readings
Tuesday 30th June
- Who needs friends in High Places? – The Saints
Thursday 2nd July
For information and to register for a June Study Day please CLICK HERE.
For Information and to register for a July Study Day CLICK HERE
For information and to register for a 90 minute “Taster” please CLICK HERE.
The June and July Study Days are Wednesdays and Saturdays, covering a separate topic on each day. The 90 minute “Tasters” are on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, each covering a different topic:
Each Study Day (9.30am to 4pm) costs only £25, and there is a 6 for 5 discount for the Study Days (you can sign up for 6 Study Days for the price of 5), or 6 people can be signed up at once, with a payment for 5. Each “Taster” costs only £10.
These Study Days give us opportunities to deepen our understanding of our Catholic Faith, and are the perfect occasions to connect with other Catholics – perhaps over a glass of wine ! (Provide your own wine or beverage of choice in your lock-down).
Dr Denise Clare Oliver and Dr Christina Pal lead the teaching team for this programme.