Welcome to the Academy of the Annunciation (AoA)
at the Bournemouth Oratory
“Be transformed by the renewal of your mind” (Rom. 12:2)
AoA’s courses, whether delivered by way of live video conferencing, onsite conference, or blended / distance learning, are designed to form and educate students to be truly mission-ready – for the parish, the diocese, and the world. Focused courses are offered at various levels on the Sacraments of Initiation, Catechesis & Evangelisation, Discipleship & Prayer, Apologetics & Reasons for Faith, Spiritual Theology, and various Scripture Studies.
Forming Evangelists, Catechists, and Formators “to put people not only in touch but in communion, in intimacy, with Jesus Christ: only He can lead us to the love of the Father in the Spirit and make us share in the life of the Holy Trinity.” (St John Paul II – Catechesi Tradendae #5)
- Short Conferences by way of Study Days and evening courses
- Equipping students to work effectively in the Lord’s vineyard
- Conferences for priests, religious, and seminarians
- study online with the help of your personal academic tutor
- Flexible delivery of tuition in a way that suits you best – interactive online video conferencing and/or on-site tuition and study at the Oratory in beautiful Bournemouth
The Bournemouth Oratory at the Sacred Heart Church
June Study Days and Evenings now added to our Eastertide Evenings, Pre-Pentecost Study Days and 90 minute “Tasters”
via video conference
The Academy of the Annunciation offers live lectures with inter-active discussion and real-time participation, all from the comfort of your home!
Registration is open for the following Eastertide Evenings, Pre-Pentecost Study Days, June Study Days / Evenings and 90 minute “Tasters”. The Eastertide Evenings and June Evenings are on Tuesdays and Thursdays (7pm to 9.15pm), covering one topic over both evenings (a total of four hours per topic with a 15 minute break on each evening). The Pre-Pentecost Study Days and June Study Days are Wednesdays and Saturdays, covering a separate topic on each day. The 90 minute “Tasters” are on Sunday afternoons and Monday evenings, each covering a different topic:
- Reasons for Faith in a Scientific Age
Evenings – 26th and 28th May
- Is Catholic Moral Teaching Outdated?
Evenings – 2nd and 4th June
Pre-Pentecost Study Days:
- The Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit
Saturday 23rd May
- The Trinity of Persons in the One God
Wednesday 27th May
- The Blessed Virgin Mary – Mother of the Church & Our Mother
Saturday 30th May
June Study Days / Evenings:
- St Therese and the Little Way – Sure Path to Salvation
Wednesday 10th June or Tuesday and Thursday evenings 9th and 11th June
- Why Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus?
Saturday 13th June only
- “Grace and truth have come through Jesus Christ” (Jn 1:17) – Why Catholic Prayers are always “through Christ our Lord” when the Bible invites us to pray “in Jesus’ name”
Wednesday 17th June or Tuesday and Thursday evenings 16th and 18th June
- Passion and Emotion – The Catholic Perspective
Saturday 20th June only
- Adam & Eve in the Garden – Why the First Sin was so Catastrophic
Wednesday 24th June or Tuesday and Thursday evenings 23rd and 25th June
- Why we call the Priest “Father” and Other Questions about the Priesthood
Saturday 27th June only
Tasters for a Tenner
- How can we be sure that God Exists?
Sunday 7th June
- What’s so Special about Sunday?
Monday 8th June
- “Who do you say that I AM?” – An Introduction to the Person of Jesus Christ
Sunday 14th June
- Why bother with the Church?
Monday 15th June
- Do good morals really lead to happiness?
Sunday 21st June
- Getting to know our English Martyrs
Monday 22nd June
- How to get more from the Sunday Readings
Sunday 28th June
- Who needs friends in High Places? – The Saints
Monday 29th June
For more information and to register a place on a Pre-Pentecost Study Day please CLICK HERE.
For information and to register for Eastertide Evenings please CLICK HERE.
For information and to register for a June Study Day / Evening please CLICK HERE.
For more information and to register for a 90 minute “Taster” please CLICK HERE.
Each Study Day (9.30am to 4pm) or 2-evenings course (7pm to 9.15pm) costs only £25, and there is a 6 for 5 discount for the Study Days (you can sign up for 6 Study Days for the price of 5), or 6 people can be signed up at once, with a payment for 5. Each “Taster” costs only £10.
These Study Days and Evenings give us opportunities to deepen our understanding of our Catholic Faith, and are the perfect occasions to connect with other Catholics – perhaps over a glass of wine ! (Provide your own wine or beverage of choice in your lock-down).
Dr Denise Clare Oliver and Dr Christina Pal lead the teaching team for this programme.